Thursday, August 7, 2008

What boredom makes me do....

Ive decided to add two HDD's that I had laying around to my latest desktop. One HDD is a Western Digital 80GB PATA drive and the other is a Western Digital 30GB. And well after getting my new book and receiving the latest Ubuntu distro from Canonical software( I just wanted to see how long it took to get something for free) so all these things coming together coupled with the boredom from my recent surgery I've decided to install some new operating systems on my desktop.
So I've decided to document my methods, wrong or right, to help others or help myself remember what I did wrong.

So, first a little documentation on my system: it currently has a single 320gb HDD, the processor is an AMD 4800+ dual core overclocked to around 3GHz [yes its aircooled using a zalman, the huge 140mm one with the fins, but ive been looking into water cooling], the Graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8500GT with 512Mb of onboard RAM from MSI, the fanless one[im going to add a second one for SLI soon], the Motherboard is an ASUS M2N-DeluxeSLI if i remember correctly, and I currently only have 2Gb's of RAM, and the current OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

The operating systems I plan to install ar as follows: Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, Red Hat 9, and Windows XP Home Edition.

Well...Lets get Started

The first thing I wanted to make sure of is that I DO NOT touch the HDD that I have Vista installed to avoid problems. so I just went ahead and disconnected the Sata cable and the power from the drive, well that's done so now I have a significant amount of confidence in going ahead with everything else.Second thing, clean install environment on my two previously used drives and the best way I know how to get a sterile drive is DBAN. So while I wait for that to run tonight on both of my drives, ill do a little reading in my book.


DBAN running, only on pass 1 0f 3.

No comments: